I’ve been doing my annual end-of-year inventory, looking back at what I hoped to accomplish and what I actually did accomplish this past year. Some things—like selling my house—didn’t come to fruition; others—like getting a salaried job with benefits—did.
When it came to my writing, it felt like I hadn’t done much. But when I looked through my writing folder, I realized I’d done a lot more than I realized.
Since January, I have:
- completed a major plot revision draft of my novel
- progressed to the finals of the NYC Midnight 2017 Short Story Challenge
- queried two articles to a children’s history magazine (neither was accepted)
- entered two short stories in a Writer magazine contest (Neither placed but both did make it past the second round of judging.)
- submitted a short story for consideration for a 2018 anthology
- attended a writers’ conference
- heard Stephen King speak about the craft of writing
My hope now is to continue this momentum in 2018!